- To list the types of receptors that bind norepinephrine and epinephrine (adrenergic receptors), and the relative affinity of each ligand for these receptors.
- To understand the effects of agonists and antagonists binding to adrenergic receptors.
- To appreciate how the baroreceptor reflex alters the initial effects of ligands binding to adrenergic receptors.
- To understand the types of cholinergic receptors, and how ligands binding to them affect the cardiovascular system.
- To define the following terms related to drug actions on the cardiovascular system:
To apprehend the actions of the following drugs, and how they affect heart rate, cardiac contractility, and total peripheral resistance:
To describe the effects of hypercalcemia and hypocalcemia on the cardiac action potential and electrocardiogram.
- Prazosin / Doxazocin / Terazosin / Tamsulosin (α-1 receptor antagonists)
- Phenoxybenzamine / Phentolamine (nonselective α receptor antagonists)